The Vinayak Ayurveda and Panchakarma Research Foundation's Lifestyle Counselor
Education Program will teach Ayurvedic theory as it pertains to daily diet and lifestyle recommendations along with the use of Ayurvedic manual therapies to better manage the doshas. This program will culminate with a practical and written exam under the direction of Dr. Joshi. The successful completion of the program will result in the presentation of the Ayurvedic Sadhana Padavika Diploma.
How It Came About
In 2001, Kavikulaguru Kalidas Sanskrit
University approached Dr. Suni! Joshi, world renowned Ayurvedic Physician and Panchakarma Specialist, to launch the first accredited Ayurvedic Education Program in Maharashtra, India, exclusively for foreign students. Dr. Joshi was chosen to establish this program not only because of his 25 years of clinical experience in Nagpur, India but because of his experience in the West. Seventeen years of travel throughout North America, Europe, Asia and South Africa providing Ayurvedic counseling has given Dr. Joshi exceptional in-depth knowledge of Western culture, lifestyle and environmental considerations.
As a science, Ayurveda is universal in scope, and comprehensive in nature in dealing with the health of the body and with the well being of the senses, mind, and spirit. Kavikulaguru Kalidas University felt that Dr. Joshi's experience made him uniquely qualified to design, organize, and present this advanced course on the practical application of Ayurveda in the West.
Ayurveda in the West
During his travels Dr. Joshi became aware of a vacuum that needed to be filled. He realized that for the science of Ayurveda to flourish in the West, and indeed throughout the world, there would need to be properly educated Ayurvedic Lifestyle Counselors widely available. These fulltime, front line, Ayurvedic Ambassadors, would help spread the ancient wisdom of the day to day application of Ayurvedic concepts. They would also nourish their home communities by instructing their friends how to use this understanding of Ayurvedic diet and lifestyle in their everyday lives.
With this goal in mind Dr. Joshi launched the first accredited Ayurvedic Lifestyle Counselor Education Program to be offered for foreign students in Maharashtra, India. This program is NOT designed to train Ayurvedic. Physicians (that Education requires a minimum 5 years of study in a fully accredited Ayurvedic College), but will provide students of Ayurveda with the opportunity to receive a diploma as an Ayurvedic Lifestyle Counselor.
In order to participate in the Program, the student must have a basic, working knowledge of Ayurveda. This can be obtained through a correspondence course, an Education program or by studying the different books available in the marketplace. It is required that the student read Ayurveda and Panchakarma - The Science of Healing and Rejuvenation (Lotus Press) by Dr Sunil Joshi. It is available at bookstores or through the Vinayak Ayurveda and Panchakarma Research Foundation.
The program will be taught in Nagpur, India at Dr. Joshi's teaching hospital, Vinayak Panchakarma Chikitsalaya. This comprehensive course will last four weeks and will be a combination of theory and practical application of various Ayurvedic modalities. The outline below lists some of the topics which will be covered in this program.
· Panchamahabhutas - The advanced understanding of the Five Elements as well as their relationship to the doshas
· Tridosha - A comprehensive understanding of the Three Dosha Theory
· Triguna - The qualities and value of the Three Gunas especially in the understanding of mental imbalances
· Atma - The importance of the Soul and the Soul's relationship to the body, mind, and senses
· Dosha - A deeper analysis of Dosha and the factors that impact it's'qualities and functions
· Dosha/Dhatu/Mala - The understanding-of the three fundamental aspects of the body and their relationship to each other
· Dhatu/Upadhatu -The relationship of each Dhatu to its corresponding Upadhatu
· Sharir Rachana - Anatomy according to Ayurveda
· Tridoshic Management- Calming of the three doshas using Aahar (food), Vihar (lifestyle) and Treatments.
· Shodhan Chikitsa - The Importance of cleansing treatments
· Dravya Guna - A description of substances, their qualities and actions
· Rasa-Virya-Vipak-Prabhava - Their effect on Doshas, Dhatus, and Malas
· Prakruti-Vikruti - Understanding of Balance/Imbalance in the Body
· Vaishamya- Understanding of and Reduction of Imbalance in the Body
· Agni - Understanding the role of Agni as heat, energy and light
· Malas - Understanding the Importance of bodily wastes
· Tridosha Kaya Chikitsa - Understanding the use of Snehan and Swedan for cleansing and rejuvenation of the body
· Aahar Chikitsa - The understanding of Ayurvedic Cooking to use food as a modality for improving health
· Yoga - Using Yoga therapeutically
· Stri Rog - The understanding of women's health (Monarch to Menopause)
· Ayurvedic Herbs - Understanding the theory of.Ayurvedic Herbal principles
· Decoctions and Nutritional Formulas - The preparation of Herbal Oils, Medicinal Ghee, and Chyavanprash
Graduates of the Ayurvedic Lifestyle Counselor Education Program will be able to provide counsel for the appropriate diet and lifestyle and design a treatment program to help an individual obtain their natural balanced state. Every graduate of the Lifestyle Counselors Education Program will be fully supported by Dr. Joshi and his staff in their journey as Ayurvedic Lifestyle Counselors.
Dr. Sunil V. Joshi M.D. (Ayu)
Dr. Shalmali S, Joshi B.A.M.S
The Vinayak Ayurveda and Panchakarma Research Foundation 2214 Espanola SINE Albuquerque, NM, 87110 Tel: 505-296-6522 Fax: 505-298-2932 www.vinayakayurveda.com
Dr. Joshi i--- perhaps the best teacher of applied-Ayurveda coming to the West. His programs provide not only a wealth of information, but important practical guidance on the management of health that is very hard to find, even in India. Dr. David Frawley Author of Yoga and Ayurveda, Ayurvedic Healing, and Ayurveda and the Mind Dr. Sunil Joshi is among the few Vaidyas in the world today, enthusiastically sharing his profound Ayurvedic wisdom with a unique style that nourishes body, mind, and soul.
Dr. David Simon MD
The Chopra Center